Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Writing Real Dialogue


While continually working on my own manuscript and edits I have tried to be a voracious reader of other works. The idea being that the more often and varied my exposure to well written work, the better my own writing will become.

One of the things that I am noticing in reading from the stack of books by my bed and from dialogue contained in the variety of movies I watch is the importance of what I call “un-answered” dialogue. When real people talk, questions go un-answered. They answer questions with questions or even ignore them altogether. The best authors can thinly thread these INCOMPLETE conversations together so that the motivation of each evasive speaker remains apparent to the reader, even if undisclosed to other characters in the story.

Such dialogue scripting can reveal a great deal about the characters themselves, the status and depth of the relationship of those speaking, the importance each places on the subject matter and it also helps to create a backdrop to the drama being told. As readers, reason tells us that these characters must have cause or motivation for being evasive and avoiding disclosure.

An element of mystery creeps in through a backdoor and helps to sink that all important ‘hook’ that we authors desire to set with each and every paragraph, page, chapter and work, as we ratchet the tension and keep our readers turning to the next page. 

2 comments:

  1. Doug...so true!! I'm still in the hunt for new authors to read and follow. I'm a fan of Joel C Rosenberg, and I'm in the hunt for two of his books. I like his style of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Doug, I like your analysis of answering questions. It does reveal the motivations of the speakers. And don't forget the tried and true answering a question with a reply to an entirely different question, often unasked. Politicians are masters of this art.

    ReplyDelete