Friday, September 9, 2011

Aspiring Writer's Forum - Welcome to Y3


Last Wednesday initiated the third year of the Aspiring Writer’s Forum at Chino Valley Community Church. Our first meeting was well attended, but a number of familiar faces were missing. Some I understand are struggling with the time demands of life to find room in their schedules for the AWF. Prioritizing and finding a God honoring balance can be difficult (see previous posting on this issue). There were a few members that I know are continuing and just could not attend the first night (you were missed Carl and Keala).

As this new year of AWF begins, I just wanted to unofficially (as I am not one of the group leaders) welcome everyone, new and continuing (not old), to our little group. I hope that the insightful perspectives that we always seem to find in each others writing continues this year, as we stretch ourselves to honor God through the written word.

Let me tell you a secret:
When I first joined – one year ago – I hated the idea of journaling at the beginning of each class. First of all, when I write it is usually in my favorite office chair at home on the computer (in the shelter of my cave) not sitting around a table writing by hand (as an engineer I write in block letters, not cursive, so my penmanship is very slow). Secondly, I do NOT journal. I had never enjoyed or found any use for it. I guess I always considered that once I had spent the time, in my head, mulling over an issue, there was little use getting it all down on paper. It was time to move on to the next issue or urgent task. Also, my writing project of over 14 months (at that time) was a crime novel. How could journaling about last week’s sermon help me with that?

Boy was I wrong! Our journaling time each week accomplishes a number of great things:

  • When it’s focused back on last weeks sermon (which it isn’t always), it allows us to reengage a fresh lesson from God’s Word.
  • As we write and then (maybe most importantly) share, we learn about how God himself is speaking to and through our fellow AWF members. This gives us a bigger picture of how God is moving in and through the body of believers here at CVCC and perhaps the world as well.
  • Finally, it's important as writers to flex and stretch our writing muscles, even out of our comfort zone, right there on the spot.



So, if you are feeling like I did when I started, take heart and watch what God will show you through this class. If not, then you are way ahead of me! In any case, welcome to the AWF.

1 comment:

  1. It is always interesting to see the POV of someone coming from an entirely different perspective than oneself. For me, journaling helps me track my growth, recapture things I might have forgotten, provided me with a place to vent to just myself. Most importantly though, if there is power in corporate prayer, I think there may be power too in corporate journaling just because of the encouragement it gives each of our members.

    ReplyDelete