Monday, September 10, 2012

Journey Worth Taking

Its not the destination, it's the journey. That's what they say...

Recently in a small gathering with my Aspiring writer friends I proclaimed, "If writing a novel is synonymous with conceiving a child, then surely editing that same work is like performing open-heart surgery on him or her" This observation of mine received a good chuckle, but the truth it held haunts me today as I ponder the work ahead of me.

My beta readers (those that read my finished manuscript) have all been wonderfully helpful in pointing out many ways my novel can be improved. From character names and development, to plot structure and cadence, each of them have made me see that this work of fiction can be more than it currently is. Each of them seemed to be telling me that it has potential to be much more. To each of them I'll be eternally grateful for their time and encouragement as I continue down this road.

So, you ask...Why am I haunted by the process?

If I was a painter, that painted portraits or grand landscapes, I could stand back from the canvas and take it all in at once. Then I could lean in and make the smallest of corrections, bringing forth the important details that separate the Mona Lisa from my old Aunt Sally. I don't have an Aunt Sally, but my point is that I find it easy to get overwhelmed by my own work. It is difficult to hold that scalpel and know where to begin to cut into a body of 73,000+ words.

The recent crash of my home computer has not made this task easier either. But just the week before the crash, my entire computer had been back-up to an external hard drive I had purchased  - just in time. I must admit I too easily slip into the mindset of the bottle being half empty. In fact I often want to find the person who drank from my bottle and wring their neck.

I need to remember that this process is building not just a good novel, but a good writer I hope as well. And, if it was easy everyone would be doing it...right? So...with good friends to advise and encourage me in this process and God orchestrating it in His timing, now I too am saying...

It's not the destination, it's the journey. And I must press on!

7 comments:

  1. It is the destination, but I suggest that before you begin swinging that scalpel that you invite the Holy Spirit in for inspiration. And never labor under the illusion that you have not painted an awesome picture for those of us who have enjoyed stepping along on this journey with you. I see clearly painted before me a man named Jake Justus I'd love to meet being followed around by his best buddy, Hardy, who always sees the food plate as half (if not completely) empty, but still manages to wag his tail regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, Thank you for your encouragement in the past and for the road ahead. I am blessed that Jake and Hardy both have a wide appeal with my beta readers. Hardy's breed may need to change for a variety of reasons, but everyone seems to like the him. It sure is nice knowing I am surrounded in loving support as I move through the milestones.

      Delete
  2. Ah, my author friend, I have never had a friend who was an author, so you make me feel great. See what I miss by not getting on fb everyday? You need to know, that I often think and/or dream about Jake and Hardy and can hardly wait for you to get done with this one, so you can begin book 2. I do understand your pain and I agree with Linda. I have a note on my AWF binder that says "ALWAYS PRAY FIRST, THEN WRITE." You are an amazing writer Doug and I know you will do it justice. TEE HEE, just had to throw that in for laughs. Jake and Hardy are going to give readers some wonderful times relaxing and working their way through the trials of his life. Write on friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your continued support Deborah. Your wise advice regarding Jakes buddy, Hardy, is most valuable and is making my manuscript much better than it ever would have been without your help.

      Delete
  3. that was so encouraging to read. not just exciting for the journey you are on in your work, but to pursue on when it gets hard or life stops motivating me to tell my story. also i got a good laugh out of your new take on the glass half empty view. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bekah,
    Thank you for your kind words. I feel very strongly that our ability to engaged life successfully is very dependent upon our ability to successfully see things thru Gods perspective. If God has placed a hurdle before me - he must have some great reason for it being there. Questioning His reasons can often be a long trip down the rabbit hole. I have found that pressing-on with Him engaged with me in the issue is usually the key.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aloha my friend,
    We were both part of Aspiring Writers Forum. We both wrote stories and shared them when opportunity afforded itself. But of the two, you are the one with the "Passion." Your passion is to get your work published so others can taste your creative talent. I on the other hand...have no desire to be published. Writing is therapeutic for me. I find tremendous satisfaction when I write a piece that has stirred my creative juices. To see the characters come alive before my very eyes as my imagination takes me down the ally ways of creativity.
    As for your story about JJ and Hardy...I like it. I'd like to see the story line immersed in suspense like the book I'm reading now titled "The Eight" by Katherine Neville. This book was given to me by my daughter who is an editor. I told her I was looking for suspenseful stories...not for the contents of the book but for the style of writing by the author. I'm not looking to copy their style...I'm looking to learn from their style of writing. I am an aspiring writer who some day may have the passion you have. The passion to be published. Don't give up on your dream. Stay the course my friend and you'll get there.

    Blessings...Carl

    ReplyDelete